Wednesday 21 May 2014

"This will be the making of you"...

Today I told a colleague that my wife and I are expecting... I just loved her response!...

"This will be the making of you", She said.

And, indeed, I sure hope it is. Obviously being a first time dad, I have only my assumptions and expectations of what it means to be a father. Along with my expectations and assumptions, comes a sense of uncertainty and a whole heap of questions.

How do I know if I'll be any good? How do I learn? Do I have to change? What if I struggle?

I reminded myself of God's fatherly love for us and his role as our Dad. I believe that, for as long as I follow his example, I am sure to be the best I can be. Undoubtedly, love is the single most important thing when it comes to bringing up children. God's fatherly character teaches me to be patient, kind, loving, forgiving, fun, exciting, honest, trusting... And it is from Him that I learn these traits, or 'fruits of the spirit'. As I become a dad and guide and support my children through their lives, I am sure to grow some myself. I will learn what it means to give up myself for my children and be moulded and constructed into my role and purpose as a husband and father. I can think of nothing that I want more.




No comments:

Post a Comment