Thursday 22 May 2014

First midwife home visit

The midwife came today along with her 1st year student. What a lovely experience it was.
Both were really lovely, friendly and reassuring. The student was fantastic and really confident. Sarah and I thought she had been doing it for years before being told she was a 1st year! The chat involved discussions around entitlements, support networks, antenatal courses, medical histories of both of us, contact details, future appointments, future dates, and general advice for pregnancy in the early stages.
I was interested to see how much I, as the Father, would be involved in the discussion. I've read in a few places that it's often the case that pregnancy related organisations focus solely on the mother and disregard the thoughts, concerns and involvement of the father. It certainly wasn't the case at all today. I felt respected and, although Sarah is their main focus (obviously), I was made to feel that I'm as much part of the pregnancy as she is.
I wonder how accessible the rest of the outside world will be for me, as a parent. I intend to use this blog as a means to review and critique the pregnancy industry for males. After today's experience I'm feeling fairly confident...

No comments:

Post a Comment